Saturday, September 1, 2007

English Vocabulary: Mellifluous

While I was reading Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's Good Omens, I came across the word mellifluous and I thought it would be a good word to blog about.

It turns out that I am only aware of one definition of this vocabulary item. For a long time, I have only been aware of one meaning of the word: mellifluous means "a flowing sweet, pleasant sound," often applied to the sounds of music, a musical instrument, or even the sound of a human voice--"She had such a mellifluous voice, I found myself quite attracted to her!"

Now, when I encountered the word in Good Omens and I checked it out in the dictionary, I realized that the word can also mean "flowing with sweetness" or simply put, something "pleasing"--"a mellifluous life."

Mostly though, the word is used to describe a sweet sound. It is an item of vocabulary you can use to describe your favorite song, musician, or composer. Try "I enjoy the mellifluous sounds of Mozart's violin melodies."

I had such a busy day that this is quite the late post. Thank you for bearing with me.

No comments: