Thursday, September 27, 2007

With or Without You

I heard this error the other day: "My children walk each other." The meaning of the sentence is clear enough but there is an important word missing. That word is with.

The preposition with has several uses but in the case of the sentence above, it is needed to show the connection between the children walking. The sentence therefore should have been "My children walk with each other." Here, with is needed so show that the children are together when they walk.

Without is the opposite of with. If the speaker wanted to say that her children walk separately, then she can say, "My daughter walks to school without her brother on Mondays."

Then again, to simplify the original sentence, you can just say, "My children walk together."

Enjoy your day with your friends and family!

No comments: